Getting Back Into The Game! MTG

• If you have a specefic deck in mind that you would like to play, I would suggest buying the individual cards from the shop. And trade for the rest of what they don't have in stock (or buy from a website). That way you can get together a deck as quick as possible and start playing. If you have an abundant amount of $$$ you can start buying boosters boxes to increase your collection and range of decks you can create.

• Oh last website:
    mtgtop8.com

It lists the top 8 decks from the last 10 events for each format. Which could give you a starting point for a deck-shell to start with.
    (Always start collecting with lands when you decide the deck you want to play, mana is the most important part).

• Sounds great!

You've been incredibly helpful!

I think ill take a look into one of those fat packs to get my feet off the ground with a couple of booster packs.

Do people still use the card sleeves (black/red backs to them) when they play? I see that I have them on most of my decks from 10 years ago haha

@robb_himself19

• Perfect!

thanks again for all the tips bud, you are making this so much easier on me!

Hopefully see you guys friday night!

@robb_himself19

• After you figure out what kind of decks you want to make. I would suggest trying to trade for the cards if you aren't attached to your older ones. I'd imagine there are lots of people (myself included) with loads of standard cards for trade that really appreciate the older cards. Just be sure to check the value of your cards at the Star City Games site(http://www.starcitygames.com/index.php) so you don't get ripped by any sharks lurking the waters. Here's the page where all the trade threads are: http://www.quantumgames.ca/forum/hawkers-alley/ccg
    Here's the page for mine: http://www.quantumgames.ca/forum/hawkers-alley/ccg/ryan-ms-trade-thread-updated-july-22
    I'm pretty open to trading standard stuff away for cards I don't really need if I'm helping someone newer in the process so keep that in mind when you're looking for cards.

Good luck man.

–----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Slinging cardboard since 1879

• Hey man sounds great! Ill compile the list of what I have and post it on here for all to see and if you see something you like im sure we can strike a deal!

Do the older cards that I have still get used a lot? Or are more for collection?

@robb_himself19

• That depends on the cards and the person/format. I use the Urza lands still… but I have my playsets already.

Anyways, good luck. Always good to have a new Magic Player (just wish I could come in and play... darn work... lol)

• Yeah i was thinking of saying something along those lines too. There are some people that'll try to hose you so always double check pricing before accepting a trade (at least until you start to learn prices better).

Also i want to mention that the standard format is rotating in october. That means that the Innistrad block (innistrad, dark ascension,avacyn restored) and the magic 2013 (m13) core set are leaving the standard format, so basically most of the higher priced cards from those sets will drop in value (to a degree). Keep that in mind when trading your older cards which have a steady value for newer cards that have fluctuating price tags.

And finally i myself being a primarily edh and casual vintage player would definitely be interested in cards from older sets (urza block especially!), so once you figure out what you want and possibly start your own trade thread maybe we can work something out. Here's the link to mine : http://www.quantumgames.ca/forum/hawkers-alley/ccg/pauls-trade-thread

• Hey man thanks for the friendly heads up.

I will get to work over the next few days compiling the list of what I have and start a thread showing everything I have.

I will be more than happy to listen to any and all offers! If there is something you really want I will make sure we can figure it out.

Hopefully I will have a list made up and posted by sometime this weekend.

And yeah, I will take a look through your trade thread as well and see what you have there.

Cheers

@robb_himself19

• Thanks again for all your tips and advice man!

I really appreciate it.

Cheers

@robb_himself19

• Hi there and welcome to the website and soon tables!

As my buddy Paul (Oblivion) said there, EDH. If you have old stuff like you say, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to swap some of your old cards for newer cards to people here once you make your list. Most people here are just starting to get into the 'EDH mood' at the shop, while others, like Paul and I, have been playing for quite awhile, so we could be your best customers, haha.

So yea, goto the shop, watch a few games (even bring your stuff if you want to trade, too!) and enjoy! I would highly suggest while your there to consider what play-style you prefer to play. Because once you do, getting some of those cards will be either hard or pricey. (Sphinx's Revelations, Voice of Resurgance, Arch Angel of Thune, Planeswalkers, etc.) I myself enjoy making small, cheapish decks with cards that people don't normally run…like Unexpected Results. :D

As for boosters and whatnot...probably avoid Innistrad block and M13...they leave standard in a few months. The M14 set just came out not too long ago...I'd recommend starting there if you want to buy+trade since not a lot of people have what they want from that set yet, or bide your time for the new set in a few months. The Return to Ravnica block offers some good cards but more importantly the shock-lands like Hallowed Fountain, Temple Garden, etc to help run your deck and those won't be leaving standard for another 2 years (?). They are also always sought after for Modern and even EDH.

Cheers, and awesome icon! :)

–----------
    I highly recommend pissing yourself…followed by a course of praying to your impotent god.

• another edh player chiming in. my trade thread has some wants from back in the day that im after specifically but i also like browsing old cards.

and like brett said, some people like the expensive decks others like cheap ones. ive been on both sides of that coin. find the style you like and start there. you'll always find someone looking for older cards and willing to let go of newer ones

–-----------------------------
    What goes up must come sideways

• Hey thanks for the kind words of welcome!

I am definitely going to come by either tomorrow or next week to watch some games and chat with some of you and kind of get to know the product again and I think i am going to go to the shop on Saturday to take a look around while its hopefully not crazy busy! haha

I keep seeing you guys say EDH and I am curious to know what that means?? haha

I am thinking I will try and get into that Ravinca block and go from there.

thanks again for all the advice and I am currently working on my list and will hopefully post it on here by the end of the weekend…I have a lot to go through!

Cheers!

@robb_himself19

• Sounds like my old cards arent as worthless as I originally thought they might be! haha

Its cool to know that they are still sought after by some people even 15 years later!

@robb_himself19

• EDH is what is now branded as Commander.
    id explain it but i can just link the edh site for you, might be better than trying to explain.
    http://www.dragonhighlander.net/rules.php

–-----------------------------
    What goes up must come sideways

• Only the good cards….

Players get excited whenever Urza's is mentioned. Because it was the most broken block of all time. They are just hoping you have some gems from Urza's block that no one else has.

• Totally agree with this. If by chance you do have any gems, feel free to be picky when trading them as there will be a big market for them.

–----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Slinging cardboard since 1879