Modern Trade Resource

• So, as most people have probably heard, we have a Modern PTQ coming up. Before the PTQ was announced it seemed like not many people had Modern decks built, but now that the format will for sure be played here in Kelowna, there has been a growing interest in it. I want to start this thread as a resource for people who are just starting to play Modern and are looking for ideas for decks. The format is considerably larger than Standard, and the game has seen a lot of growth in the last few years. That means that there are a lot of players who are playing competitive Magic right now who might not necessarily be overly familiar with most of the cards legal in the format since they didn't have the opportunity to play with older cards when they were legal in standard. The purpose of this thread will be to outline some of the staple cards of the format for people new to the format or just looking for ideas. Now, as a disclaimer, I am not overly familiar with the format myself by any means, but that wont stop me from trying to get this thing completed. I am open to suggestions as to what cards should be included, or cards that I have missed. This thread will be a work in progress with new cards being added as more and more people have a look and make suggestions.

To begin with I would like to start listing cards that are staples for particular effects. I will try to categorize them as best I can. To begin with I would like to try to list only cards that are seen as "good" or competitive. For example, when listing removal spells, something like Terminate will make the list, while Spread the Sickness will not. If you want to make a suggestion for one of the lists please keep that in mind.

As this will take a lot of time, the lists will be incomplete for awhile here, but keep checking back. I hope to have most of the playable cards listed eventually. Also, if people find any of this useful, I can also add a section that goes over the known archetypes in the format.

I posted this thread in the trades section as well now, as people pointed out that it might have a place here if it can make people aware of the trade potential of some of their older cards. With this here hopefully people will become a little more aware of what they have and how much it could be possibly worth in future trades.

Abbath Announces Candidacy: Vows To End Global Warming By Covering The Entire World In Permafrost.

• Reserved

Abbath Announces Candidacy: Vows To End Global Warming By Covering The Entire World In Permafrost.

• Ok, so here are some preliminary lists. These are just some cards I can think of off the top of my head. More will be added when I have time to get to them and as more people make suggestions and point out omissions.

Note: Categories aren't set in stone. For now I am going to be putting Burn spells in their own category despite their ability to be used as removal. For example, Lightning Bolt will be listed as Burn rather than removal. "Burn" will encompass cards that can be pointed at a player as well as a creature, or only pointed at a player. Therefore cards like Flame Slash and Magma Spray will be considered Removal and not be included in the Burn list. Also, some card will appear in more than one place. For example, Vendilion Clique is both a staple creature and also works as a discard/hand disruption spell and will therefore be listed under both. Phyrexian Mana spells will be coloured brown, like artifacts, since they can be cast without colour.

When I started making the list, I had my browser fit to fill the screen. I wanted to do my best to fit every card in a single line each, so keep that in mind if you are browsing with a reduced window, it might look sloppy that way.

I tried to keep the cards listed in a uniform way. They are listed in almost no particular order since I will keep adding new cards as I think of them and it will be tedious to put them in order. For now they are just colour coded. The info should be presented mostly uniformly though. I will try to list the cards this way:

Name[Set]======Converted mana cost, type (I for instant, S for sorcey, etc…), then a brief description of the card. keywords will be at the beginiing or the end of the entry.

For creatures it will look like this:

Name[set]======Converted mana cost, type (in this case C for creature), power/toughness, description of abilities, and then keywords.

If a card has AA: it means it is an activated ability that has some sort of mana cost associated with it. Something like ratchet bomb will not have this listing as you can essentially activate it for free, but Grim Lavamancer will have AA listed in its' text line since the ability costs a Red mana.

If a card has AC: it means there is an additional cost to play the card, like having to sacrifice an artifact in the case of Shrapnel blast.

If you are looking for specific info you can use the search option in your browser, I have done my best to include all the relevant keywords for this reason specifically. For example if you have an idea for a defender deck, you should be able to find all instances of defender creatures fairly easily. Unfortunately, due to space limitations I had to cut the creature type from the info, otherwise the cards would require more than a line each and the list would have become much more cluttered.

Library Manipulation/Card Drawing

Izzet Charm[Return to Ravnica]======CMC2 I, draw 2 discard 2, 2 dmg to creature or counter non creature unless pay 2
    Phyrexian Arena[8th/9th Edition]======CMC3 E, draw card in upkeep, lose 1 life
    Dark Confidant[Ravnica]======CMC2 C, 2/1 draw card in upkeep, take damage = to CMC
    Sleight of Hand[9th Edition]======CMC1 S, look at top 2 cards, put one in hand, one on bottom of lib
    Serum Visions[Fifth Dawn]======CMC1 S, draw card, scry 2
    Peer Through Depths[Champions of Kamigawa]======CMC2 I, look at top 5, reveal instant/sorcery, put in hand, rest on bottom of lib
    Forbidden Alchemy[Innistrad]======CMC3 I, look at top 4, put one in hand, rest in GY; FB
    Thoughtcast[Mirrodin]======CMC5 S, draw 2 cards, affinity for artifacts
    Thirst For Knowledge[Mirrodin]======CMC3 I, draw 3 cards, discard 2 unless dicard an artifact
    Cryptic Command[Lorwyn]======CMC4 I, choose 2; counter spell, return permanent to hand, tap all opponent creatures, draw card
    Desperate Ravings[Innistrad]======CMC2 I, draw 2, discard 1 at random; FB
    Commune With Nature[10th Edition/Champions of Kamigawa]======CMC1 S, Look at top 5 cards, reveal creature, put in hand, rest on bottom lib
    Gitaxian Probe[New Phyrexia]======CMC1 S, look at opponent's hand, draw card; pay life to cast
    Tezzeret's Gambit[New Phyrexia]======CMC4 S, draw 2 cards, proliferate; pay life to cast

Counterspells

Izzet Charm[Return to Ravnica]======CMC2 I, draw 2 discard 2, 2 dmg to creature or counter non creature unless pay 2
    Remand[Ravnica]======CMC2 I, Counter spell, goes to hand instead of GY, draw card
    Mana Leak[8th/9th Edition/ Magic 2011/2012]======CMC2 I, Counter unless pay 3
    Spell Snare[Dissension]======CMC1 I, Counter spell with CMC 2
    Spell Pierce[Zendikar]======CMC1 I, Counter non creature unless pay 2
    Dispel[Worldwake/Return To Ravnica]======CMC1 I, Counter instant spell
    Negate[Morningtide/Magic 2010/2011/2012/2013]======CMC2 I, counter non creature spell
    Cryptic Command[Lorwyn]======CMC4 I, choose 2; counter spell, return permanent to hand, tap all opponent creatures, draw card
    Annul[Mirrodin]======CMC1 I, counter artifact/enchantment spell
    Glen Elendra Archmage[Eventide]======CMC4 C, 2/2 Flying, Persist, AA: Sac to counter non creature spell
    Deprive[Rise of the Eldrazi]======CMC2 I, AC:return land to hand, counter spell
    Unified Will[Rise of the Eldrazi]======CMC2 I, counter spell if you control more creatures than spell's controller
    Chalice of the Void[Mirrodin]======CMCxx A, enters with x charge counters. whenever a player casts spell with cmc=x, counter it

Hand Disruption/Discard

Blightning[Shards of Alara]======CMC3 S, 3 damage target player, discards 2 cards
    Slaughter Games[Return to Ravnica]======CMC4 S, Name card, search opponent lib/hand/GY, exile cards with same name. Cant be countered
    Tidehollow Sculler[Shards of Alara]======CMC2 C, 2/2 ETB: exile non land from opponent hand. return when sculler leaves play
    Thoughtseize[Lorwyn]======CMC1 S, player reveals hand, choose non land, they discard, you lose 2 life
    Inquisition of Kozilek[Rise of the Eldrazi]======CMC1 S, player reveals hand, choose non land card with CMC<3, they discard
    Duress[Magic 2010/2011/2013]======CMC1 S, player reveals hand, choose non land non creature, they discard
    Despise[New Phyrexia]======CMC1 S, player reveals hand, choose creature or planeswalker, they discard
    Distress[10th Edition/Magic 2012]======CMC2 S, player reveals hand, choose non land, they discard
    Raven's Crime[Eventide]======CMC1 S, Target player discards; Retrace (play from GY if you discard a land card in addition to normal cost
    Appetite For Brains[Avacyn Restored]======CMC1 S, player reveals hand, choose card with CMC>4, they exile it
    Extirpate[Planar Chaos]======CMC1 I, choose nonbasic card in GY, search player's hand/lib/GY then exile copies; Split Second
    Vendilion Clique[Morningtide]======CMC3 C, 3/1 flying, flash ETB:look at player hand, choose non land, goes to bottom of lib, then draws card
    Surgical Extraction[New Phyrexia]======CMC1 I, target nonbasic card in GY, search player's hand/lib/GY, exile copies; pay life to cast

Removal

Abrupt Decay[Return to Ravnica]======CMC2 I, destroy non land permanent with CMC<4, can't be countered
    Maelstrom Pulse[Alara Reborn]======CMC3 S, destroy non permanent and other permanents with same name
    Terminate[Alara Reborn]======CMC2 I, destroy creature
    Bituminous Blast[Alara Reborn]======CMC5 I, 4 damage to creature; cascade
    Detention Sphere[Return to Ravnica]======CMC3 E, ETB exile non land and others that share a name, return to play when sphere leaves play
    Putrefy[Ravnica]======CMC2 I, destroy creature/artifact
    Mortify[Guildpact]======CMC2 I, destroy creature/enchantment
    Doom Blade[Magic 2010/2011/2012]======CMC2 I, destroy non black creature
    Go for the Throat[Mirrodin Besieged]======CMC2 I, destroy non artifact creature
    Vendetta[Rise of the Eldrazi]======CMC1 I, destroy non black creature, can't regenerate, you lose life = to toughness
    Disfigure[Zendikar]======CMC1 I, creature gets -2/-2
    Darkblast[Ravnica]======CMC1 I, creature gets -1/-1; dredge 3
    Victim of Night[Innistrad]======CMC2 I, destroy non werewolf, non vampire non zombie
    Profane Command[Lorwyn]======CMC2x S, choose 2: player loses x life,reanimate cmc x from your GY, creature gets -x/-x, x creatures get fear
    Path to Exile[Conflux]======CMC1 I, exile creature, owner puts basic land into play
    Condemn[Dissension/10th Edition/Magic 2011]======CMC1 I, put attcking creature on bottom of lib, owner gets life= toughness
    Oblivion Ring[Lorwyn/Shards of Alara/Magic 2012/2013]======CMC3 E, ETB exile non land, return to play when oblivion ring leaves play
    Journey to Nowhere[Zendikar]======CMC2 E, ETB exile creature, return to play when journey to nowhere leaves play
    Oust[Rise of the Eldrazi]======CMC1 I, put creature 2nd from top of owner lib,controller gets 3 life
    Celestial Purge[Magic 2010/2011/2012/Conflux]======CMC2 I, exile red/black permanent
    Flame Slash[Rise of the Eldrazi]======CMC1 S, 4 damage to creature
    Combust[Magic 2011/2012]======CMC2 I, 5 damage to white/blue creature, can't be countered, damage can't be prevented
    Magma Spray[Shards of Alara]======CMC1 I, 2 damage to creature, exile if it would die
    Beast Within[New Phyrexia]======CMC3 I, destroy permanent, owner gets 3/3 beast token
    Dismember[New Phyrexia]======CMC3 I, creature gets -5/-5; pay life to cast

Wrath Effects/Sweepers

Jund Charm[Shards of Alara]======CMC3 I, choose 1:exile target player GY, 2 damage to all creatures, put 2 +1/+1 counters on creature
    Firespout[Shadowmoor]======CMC3 S, 3 damage to non flyers if R spent, 3 damage to flyers if G spent, 3 damage to both if both RG spent
    Supreme Verdict[Return to Ravnica]======CMC4 S, destroy all creatures, can't be countered
    Golgari Charm[Return to Ravnica]======CMC2 I, choose 1: creatures get -1/-1, destroy enchantment, regenerate your creatures
    Zealous Persecution[Alara Reborn]======CMC2 I, creatures you control get +1/+1, creatures opponents control get -1/-1
    Damnation[Planar Chaos]======CMC4 S, destroy all creatures, can't regenerate
    Mutilate[Magic 2013]======CMC4 S, creatures get -1/-1 for each swamp you control
    Black Sun's Zenith[Mirrodin Besieged]======CMC2x S, put x -1/-1 counters on each creature, shuffle Black Sun's Zenith into lib
    Consume The Meek[Rise of the Eldrazi]======CMC5 I, destroy creatures with CMC<4, can't be regenerated
    Infest[Shards of Alara]======CMC3 S, creatures get -2/-2
    Evacuation[8th/9th/10th Edition]======CMC5 S, return all creatures to owners hands
    Devastation Tide[Avacyn Restored]======CMC5 S, return non land permanents to owners hands; miracle
    Cyclonic Rift[Return to Ravnica]======CMC2 I, return target non land permanent to opponents hand; overload
    Wrath of God[8th/9th/10th Edition]======CMC4 S, destroy all creatures, can't regenerate
    Day of Judgement[Zendikar/Magic 2011/2012]======CMC4 S, destroy all creatures
    Terminus[Avacyn Restored]======CMC6 S, put all creatures on bottom of owners lib; miracle
    Austere Command[Lorwyn]======CMC6 S, choose 2: destroy all artifacts or enchantments or creatures CMC<4 or creatures CMC>3
    Pyroclasm[8th/9th/10th Edition/Magic 2010/2011]======CMC2 S, deals 2 damage to all creatures
    Whipflare[New Phyrexia]======CMC2 S, deals 2 damage to all non artifact creatures
    Volcanic Fallout[Conflux]======CMC3 I, deals 2 damage to each creature and player, can't be countered
    Slagstorm[Mirrodin Besieged]======CMC3 S, choose 1: deal 3 damage to all creatures or deal 3 damage to each player
    Bonfire of the Damned[Avacyn Restored]======CMC1xx S, deal x damage to target player and each of their creatures; miracle
    Engineered Explosives[Fifth Dawn]======CMCx A, sac to destroy non land permanents with CMC equal to counters on explosives; sunburst
    Ratchet Bomb[Scars of Mirrodin]======CMC2 A, tap to add charge counter, sac to destroy all non land permanents with CMC equal to counters
    All Is Dust[Rise of the Eldrazi]======CMC7 S, each player sacs all coloured permananets

Pump Spells/Anthems

Favorable Winds[Avacyn Restored]======CMC2 E, flyers you control get +1/+1
    Honor of the Pure[Magic 2010/2011/2012]======CMC2 E, white creatures you control get +1/+1
    Intangible Virtue[Innistrad]======CMC2 E, tokens you control get +1/+1 and vigilance
    Ranger's Guile[Innistrad]======CMC1 I, creature gets +1/+1 and hexproof
    Giant Growth[8th/9th/10th Edition/Magic 2010/2011/Return to Ravnica]======CMC1 I, creature gets +3/+3
    Groundswell[Worldwake]======CMC1 I, creature gets +2/+2 or +4/+4 with landfall
    Vines of Vastwood[Zendikar]======CMC1 I, creature gets hexproof, +4/+4 if kicker paid; kicker
    Might of Old Krosa

• Looks good Steve, glad it's in the trade section now and seeing it all the time will keep me coming back for more.

Earlier tonight when I realized it wasn't likely I was going to be able to track down the "tier 1" choices for hand disruption spells in my Jund deck, at least in time for Sunday. I found it useful to stop in here and have a look at what my temporary options were. I'm starting to get a bit more familiar with the modern stuff now that I actually own some, hopefully at some point I can contribute something in here.

• This is incredible. Nice work man! Will use this for sure.

• Notable Creatures

Figure of Destiny[Eventide]======CMC1 C, 1/1 AA: becomes 2/2, then 4/4 then 8/8 flying and first strike
    Kitchen Finks[Shadowmoor]======CMC3 C, 3/2 ETB: gain 2 life; persist
    Knight of the Reliquary[Conflux]======CMC3 C, 2/2, +1/+1 for each land in GY, AA:search for land, put in play
    Geist of Saint Traft[Innistrad]======CMC3 C, 2/2 when it attacks put 4/4 flying angel into play attacking, exile at end of turn; hexproof, legendary
    Deathrite Shaman[Return to Ravnica]======CMC1 C, 1/2, AA: tap for any colour mana,AA: exile creature in GY, gain 2 life, exile I/S opponent loses 2
    Olivia Voldaren[Innistrad]======CMC4 C, 3/3 AA: 1 damage to creature, becomes vampire. AA: take control of target vampire; flying, legendary
    Murderous Redcap[Shadowmoor]======CMC4 C, 2/2 ETB: deals damage = power to creature/player; persist
    Sigarda, Host of Herons[Avacyn Restored]======CMC5 C, 5/5, opponent spell/abilities can't make you sac permanents; flying, hexproof, legendary
    Wall of Denial[Alara Reborn]======CMC3 C, 0/8, defender, flying, shroud
    Wilt-Leaf Liege[Shadowmoor]======CMC4 C, 4/4, your other green creatures get +1/+1, same for white, if it would be discarded by opponent, put in play
    Goblin Electromancer[Return to Ravnica]======CMC2 C, 2/2, instants and sorceries cost 1 less mana for you
    Dark Confidant[Ravnica]======CMC2 C, 2/2 in upkeep reveal top card, take damage = CMC, put in hand
    Geralf's Messenger[Dark Ascension]======CMC3 C, 3/2, enters tapped ETB: 2 damage to player; undying
    Gravecrawler[Dark Ascension]======CMC1 C, 2/1, can't block. cast from GY as long as you control a zombie
    Bloodghast[Zendikar]======CMC2 C, 2/1, can't block, haste if opponent has <11 life, landfall; goes from GY to play
    Oona's Prowler[Lorwyn]======CMC2 C, 3/1, AA: discard a card, prowler gets -2/-0 until EOT, any player may activate; flying
    Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir[Timespiral]======CMC5 C, 3/4, creatures you own not in play have flash. opponents spells treated as sorceries; flash
    Phantasmal Image[Magic 2012]======CMC2 C, as it enters play choose creature to copy. If it becomes target of spell or ability, sac it
    Snapcaster Mage[Innistrad]======CMC2 C, 2/1 ETB: target Instant or sorcery in your GY gets flashback until EOT; flash
    Delver of Secrets[Innistrad]======CMC1 C, 1/1 beginning of upkeep look at top card of lib, if sorc/instant reveal to flip delver. becomes 3/2 flying
    Baneslayer Angel[Magic 2010/2011]======CMC5 C, 5/5, protection from demons/dragons, flying, first strike, lifelink
    Restoration Angel[Avacyn Restored]======CMC4 C, 3/4 ETB flicker non angel creature you control; flying, flash
    Blade Splicer[New Phyrexia]======CMC3 C, 1/1 ETB: put a 3/3 golem token in play. Golems you control have first strike
    Steppe Lynx[Zendikar]======CMC1 C, 0/1 gets +2/+2 with landfall
    Ranger of Eos[Shards of Alara]======CMC4 C, 3/2 ETB search lib for up to 2 creatures with CMC 1 or less, put into hand
    Squadron Hawk[Magic 2011]======CMC2 C, ETB: search lib for up to 3 cards named Squadron Hawk, put them into hand; flying
    Mikaeus, the Lunarch[Innistrad]======CMC1x C, enters with x +1/+1 counters. tap to put a +1/+1 counter on it. tap to put counter on your creatures; legendary
    Soul Warden[9th/10th Edition/Magic 2010]======CMC1 C, 1/1 whenever another creature enters play, gain 1 life
    Soul's Attendant[Rise of the Eldrazi]======CMC1 C, 1/1 whenever another creature enters play, gain 1 life
    Ajani's Pridemate[Magic 2011]======CMC2 C, 2/2, whenever you gain life put a +1/+1 counter on pridemate
    Student of Warfare[Rise of the Eldrazi]======CMC1 C, 1/1 Level up; 2-6 3/3 first strike, 7+ 4/4 double strike
    Silverblade Paladin[Avacyn Restored]======CMC3 C, 2/2 ETB: soulbond, gives both creatures double strike
    Flickerwisp[Eventide]======CMC3 C, 3/1 ETB: exile another permanent, return to play at EOT; flying
    Linvala, Keeper of Silence[Rise of the Eldrazi]======CMC4 C, 3/4, activated abilities of opponent's creatures can be used; flying, legendary
    Wall of Omens[Rise of the Eldrazi]======CMC2 C, 0/4 ETB: draw card; defender
    Iona, Shield of Emeria[Zendikar]======CMC9 C, 7/7 ETB: choose a colour, opponents can't cast spells of that colour; flying, legendary
    Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite[New Phyrexia]======CMC7 C, 4/7, other creatures you control get +2/+2, opponents get -2/-2; vigilance, legendary
    Goblin Guide[Zendikar]======CMC1 C, 2/2. whenever guide attacks opponents reveal top card, if land it goes to their hand; haste
    Grim Lavamancer[Magic 2012]======CMC1 C, 1/1 AA: exile 2 cards in your GY to do 2 damage to creature/player
    Zealous Conscripts[Avacyn Restored]======CMC5 C, 3/3 ETB: take control of permanent until EOT, untap it, it gains haste; haste
    Cunning Sparkmage[Worldwake]======CMC3 C, 0/1, AA: tap to do 1 damage to creature/player; haste
    Kargan Dragonlord[Rise of the Eldrazi]======CMC2 C, 2/2 Level up: 4-7 4/4 flying, 8+ 8/8 firebreathing
    Birds of Paradise[8th/10th Edition/Magic 2010/2011/2012/Ravnica]======CMC1 C, 0/1 flying, taps for any colour mana
    Noble Hierarch[Conflux]======CMC1 C, 0/1, taps for blue white or green; exalted
    Tarmogoyf[Future Sight]======CMC2 C, /+1, * is equal to number of types of cards in all GYs
    Wall of Roots[Timespiral]======CMC2 C, AA: put a -0/-1 counter on wall, add green to your mana pool, use once per turn; defender
    Obstinate Baloth[Magic 2011]======CMC4 C, 4/4 ETB: gain 4 life. if opponent would make you discard baloth, put into play instead
    Vengevine[Rise of the Eldrazi]======CMC4 C, 4/3, goes from GY to battlefied if you cast your 2nd creature spell in 1 turn; haste
    Lotus Cobra[Zendikar]======CMC2 C, 2/1, landfall; add mana of any colour to pool
    Thrun, the Last Troll[Mirrodin Besieged]======CMC4 C, 4/4, Thrun can't be countered; regenerate, hexproof, legendary
    Wurmcoil Engine[Scars of Mirrodin]======CMC6 C,A, 6/6. Lifelink Deathtouch. When it dies you get 3/3 lifelink and 3/3 deathtouch
    Emrakul, the Aeons Torn[Rise of the Eldrazi]======CMC15 C, 15/15 ETB: extra turn. flying, protection from color spells, annihilator 6 can't reanimate

• Archetypes

Jund

The Jund deck is based on making profitable plays and generating incremental advantages with superior card quality to eventually grind the opponent down. Originally the deck was strictly Black Red and Green, but recently players have been splashing White as well to add Lingering Souls to give the deck more versatility. This is one of the more expensive decks to play in Modern if you don't already have a deep card pool.

Core Creature Package:
    Deathrite Shaman[Return to Ravnica]======CMC1 C, 1/2, AA: tap for any colour mana,AA: exile creature in GY, gain 2 life, exile I/S opponent loses 2
    Bloodbraid Elf[Alara Reborn]======_CMC4 C, 3/2; cascade, haste
    Dark Confidant[Ravnica]======CMC2 C, 2/2 in upkeep reveal top card, take damage = CMC, put in hand
    Tarmogoyf[Future Sight]======CMC2 C, /+1, * is equal to number of types of cards in all GYs

Other Creatures:
    Olivia Voldaren[Innistrad]======CMC4 C, 3/3 AA: 1 damage to creature, becomes vampire. AA: take control of target vampire; flying, legendary
    Kitchen Finks[Shadowmoor]======CMC3 C, 3/2 ETB: gain 2 life; persist
    Geralf's Messenger[Dark Ascension]======CMC3 C, 3/2, enters tapped ETB: 2 damage to player; undying
    Thrun, the Last Troll[Mirrodin Besieged]======CMC4 C, 4/4, Thrun can't be countered; regenerate, hexproof, legendary

Notable Spells:
    Maelstrom Pulse[Alara Reborn]======CMC3 S, destroy non permanent and other permanents with same name
    Bituminous Blast[Alara Reborn]======CMC5 I, 4 damage to creature; cascade
    Terminate[Alara Reborn]======CMC2 I, destroy creature
    Abrupt Decay[Return to Ravnica]======CMC2 I, destroy non land permanent with CMC<4, can't be countered
    Blightning[Shards of Alara]======CMC3 S, 3 damage target player, discards 2 cards
    Inquisition of Kozilek[Rise of the Eldrazi]======CMC1 S, player reveals hand, choose non land card with CMC<3, they discard
    Thoughtseize[Lorwyn]======CMC1 S, player reveals hand, choose non land, they discard, you lose 2 life
    Liliana of the Veil[Innistrad]======CMC3 PW, loy 3, +1 each player discards, -2 player sacs creature, -6 put permanents player controls in 2 piles, they sac one pile
    Lingering Souls[Dark Ascension]======CMC3 S, put 2 1/1 spirits with flying in play; FB
    Lightning Bolt[Magic 2010/2011]======CMC1 I, deals 3 damage to creature/player

Land:
    Blood Crypt[Return to Ravnica/Dissension]======Land, counts as a swamp and mountain, taps for r/b, enters tapped unless you pay 2 life
    Stomping Ground[Gatecrash/Guildpact]======Land, counts as a mountain and forest, taps for g/r, enters tapped unless you pay 2 life
    Marsh Flats[Zendikar]======Land, sac and pay 1 life to search for a plains/swamp and put into play
    Verdant Catacombs[Zendikar]======Land, sac and pay 1 life to search for a forest/swamp and put into play
    Godless Shrine[Gatecrash/Guildpact]======Land, counts as a swamp and plains, taps for w/b, enters tapped unless you pay 2 life
    Overgrown Tomb[Return to Ravnica/Ravnica]======Land, counts as a swamp and forest, taps for u/g, enters tapped unless you pay 2 life
    Raging Ravine[Worldwake]======Land, AA becomes a 3/3 until EOT, put +1/+1 counter on it when attacks, enters tapped, taps for R/G
    Blackcleave Cliffs[Scars of Mirrodin]======Land, enters tapped unless you control <3 other lands, taps for r/b
    Treetop Village[10th Edition]======Land, enters tapped, taps for g, AA: becomes a 3/3 with trample until EOT

Tron

Coming Soon

Splinter Twin

Combo deck that revolves around resolving an infinite combo. The deck runs card draw/manipulation to find combo pieces and tries to dodge hate with counter spells and some sideboard hate cards.

Combo Pieces:
    Deceiver Exarch[New Phyrexia]======CMC3 C, 1/4, ETB: untap permanent you control or tap opponents permanent; flash
    Pestermite[Lorwyn]======CMC3 C, 2/1, ETB: tap or untap target permanent; flash, flying
    Splinter Twin[Rise of the Eldrazi]======CMC4 E, creature gets "tap to make token copy of the creature, it has hate, exile at EOT" aura
    Kiki Jiki, Mirror Breaker[Champions of Kamigawa]======CMC5 C, 2/2 AA: make a copy of creature, it gets haste, exile at EOT; legendary

Common Counterspells/Protection cards:
    Remand[Ravnica]======CMC2 I, Counter spell, goes to hand instead of GY, draw card
    Spell Pierce[Zendikar]======CMC1 I, Counter non creature unless pay 2
    Dispel[Worldwake/Return To Ravnica]======CMC1 I, Counter instant spell
    Mizzium Skin[Return to Ravnica]======CMC1 I, creature gets +0/+1 until EOT and hexproof; overload
    Echoing Truth[Darksteel]======CMC2 I, return nonland permanent and all others with same name to owners' hands
    Repeal[Guildpact]======CMC1x I, return non land permanent with CMC x to owner's hand, draw card
    Spellskite[New Phyrexia]======CMC2 C,A, 0/4, AA:Change target of spell or ability to spellskite

Card Draw/Manipulation:
    Sleight of Hand[9th Edition]======CMC1 S, look at top 2 cards, put one in hand, one on bottom of lib
    Serum Visions[Fifth Dawn]======CMC1 S, draw card, scry 2
    Gitaxian Probe[New Phyrexia]======CMC1 S, look at opponent's hand, draw card; pay life to cast

Land:
    Steam Vents[Return to Ravnica/Guildpact]======Land, counts as a mountain and island, taps for u/r, enters tapped unless you pay 2 life
    Scalding Tarn[Zendikar]======Land, sac and pay 1 life to search for a mountain/island and put into play
    Misty Rainforest[Zendikar]======Land, sac and pay 1 life to search for a forest/island and put into play
    Stomping Ground[Gatecrash/Guildpact]======Land, counts as a mountain and forest, taps for g/r, enters tapped unless you pay 2 life
    Cascade Bluffs[Eventide]======Land, taps for colourless mana, tap and pay blue/red makes: rr/ur/uu
    Shivan Reef[9th/10th Edition]======Land, taps for colourless, taps for u/r and you lose 1 life
    Breeding Pool[Gatecrash/Dissension]======Land, counts as a forest and island, taps for u/g, enters tapped unless you pay 2 life
    Sulfur Falls[Innistrad]======Land, taps for u/r, enters tapped unless you control a mountain or island

Sideboard/Hate Cards:
    Firespout[Shadowmoor]======CMC3 S, 3 damage to non flyers if R spent, 3 damage to flyers if G spent, 3 damage to both if both RG spent
    Vendilion Clique[Morningtide]======CMC3 C, 3/1 flying, flash ETB:look at player hand, choose non land, goes to bottom of lib, then draws card
    Grim Lavamancer[Magic 2012]======CMC1 C, 1/1 AA: exile 2 cards in your GY to do 2 damage to creature/player
    Flame Slash[Rise of the Eldrazi]======CMC1 S, 4 damage to creature
    Ancient Grudge_

• Thanks Snake, glad to see some people are getting a little bit of use out of this thing.

Updated to include Infect Archetype

I am slowly getting to the others, and will get them done as I have time.

• You sir are a Schollar and a Gentleman.
    My wife wanted to try modern, however I myself only own one Modern legal deck that is at all competitively designed and contains no cards which are on the modern Banned List.

She remembers being beten by Infect and thought it looked relatively easy to pilot and relatively budget (most of its cost comming from the mana base) so we snagged some Infect related items today.

I'm just having one hell of a time comming up with a sideboard for my deck so a thread like this with sort of mini primers on various archtypes I might face in modern gives me the tools to know what I ought to put in there.

Also I've discovered 2 cards in my main deck that well good are very situational or lacking in numbers of that class of card that need removing.
    I mean what good is running a couple seal of doom, I come up against a deck where I need creature removal And I'll need more than 2 seal of doom.

Many thanks for taking the time to do this for people
    Now its off to update my trade thread for some items of modern nature I'll need.