Cheap Bastards

• How cheap can the wizards get, not only have they halted their rewards program. But now they go ahead and say no more providing lands for pre-release events. I mean if they were going broke I could see that, but we all know they are not. Cards are worth a hell of a lot more now then they were 10 years ago, and there are a crap load more people playing the game everyday. That means that wizards are making a massive amount of profit, and just like every other greedy corporation out there they need every last penny they can pinch.
    Makes me sick to see the greed of the world. Thought I would voice my opinion on this matter, lemme know if you agree or disagree with these events that have taken place.

• They're getting rid of player rewards to put more product into events. Who cares, most of the cards were terrible anyway. WHo cares about lands? Don't you have a million like every other player ?

Troll extraordinaire. PT Paris scrub out.

• what do you mean by putting more into product into events?

• i dont has millions of lands. ?~

–-----------------------------
    What goes up must come sideways

• @KleptoManiaK They probably should of allowed some more time between those two changes. I thought the same thing, and even thought of posting here. It's strange on both accounts; it was something players appreciated, cost Wizards very little, and didn't damage their sales. They said they would replace it with stuff distributed by the dealers, but we've yet to see what that is (if anything).

@insaniac Their value among players can be determined by the fact that some are worth more than a Baneslayer now. If you don't like them, trade them.

@briars I can bring you a couple swamps. :)

• Baneslayer is also not worth much at all.. SO that's a pretty terrible comparison. There obviously hasn't been anything noticeable as the last sending just happened. Dur? I'd trade them, but they're generally not worth the space they take up in my binder, nor do I generally take the time to trade. Sure, some of them are cool, but really.. Who cares? You're complaining because they stopped giving us something that was FREE. It's not like it's something we're entitled to. It was a bonus for going to FNMs.

• There were never intended to be free loot. They were to entice people to play in multiple events. They've been around a long time and most older players would disagree with you on this one Aa. Store owners liked them because they could sell players on the concept and have them come back week to week to drop 3-5 bucks to play. Plus the rewards were not just cards you got other pertinent stuff in them, but that stopped a while back. Remember; game for the masses not the elites who are good at it.

Also I'm not sure how many shops you've played magic in, but this store is the first that I've played in that doesn't charge for FNM's. 3-5 bucks either for the foils and some random prizes, or pack credit. So the rewards were never free, they used to cost a lot in comparison to what happens in K-town. Feels like false assumptions based on miss information. I wish I could dig out some of the old letters we got in the past from the mailings. Even when we got them based on regions and they came from the reps. A lot has changed my friend.

Now we get/got stock copy-paste mailings with no names and no signatures. I ask you what happened to the love? I don't even know my rep's name anymore!

So maybe the comment should be "what you complaining about? they nerfed these rewards long ago anyways."

and insaniac, just let curmudgeonly people be curmudgeonly. :)

"Men will beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks." _MLK

• for tomorrow, but i dont have tons of lands due to large amounts of decks (more so large amounts of EDH decks)

–-----------------------------
    What goes up must come sideways

• Lol yes they were. If a store is charging for fnm its them getting the money. They don't send it off to wizards, whereas wizards is the company sending out the free player rewards. Everywhere i have heard of that charges for fnm also gives pack prizes as well, hence the entry fee. Player rewards had nothing to do with whatever fee you paid to play in be tournaments. If the to's used that to entice players that was them again, not wizards. I'm sure wizards encouraged it, but fnm is also meant to be a free tournament either free fnm foils given out. A place to meet other magic players or play the best deck you can or play random jank that's built for the sole purpose of doing something ridiculous.

• You guys are funny.

<3 Nerd rage!

• Player Rewards:

Sure, they were nice to get in the mail every once in a while, but I can only recall one textless card I have ever used. The rest have accumulated in a binder, much like the rest of the rewards cards acquired by other FNM players. Most of the time the artwork was lackluster. Another thing that could be the cause of the discontinuation of player rewards could be the growing population of new players. I personally dislike textless cards because it requires previous knowledge of a card or trust in your opponent, both of which new players may lack, which could lead to less enjoyment of the game. I had the pleasure of borrowing 4x textless cryptic commands when I started playing again and misplayed all night long with them haha. Also, most people would rather play with a playset of identical versions of a card then use the singleton textless cards they get in the mail. As far as rewards go, I would venture that the reasons for discontinuing the cards are not solely based on financial reasoning.

Land at the events:

Scenario: You are Mr. Awesome. You have a bunch of sandwiches you made out of the goodness of your heart for your hungry friends to enjoy. You hand out your sandwiches without ever asking for money, and your friends are happy. Now your friends take a bite, thank you, and turn around and sell the rest of the sandwich to random strangers. Shortly after, your friends are hungry again and again ask for sandwiches once more.

This seems to be the relationship between wizards and the organizers. I think that the amount of land being supplied to these events were by-and-large excessive, and I would estimate 90% of vendors are carrying the excess from event to event or selling it.

From what I have seen at many of these events, many people bring their own land, a few people borrow it from friends, and most have enough lands in their collections to use in the tournament, but are too lazy to find it or bring it so they take from the organizer. The game has been around for what, ~15 years?, and nearly every single set has had basic land. At a prerelease of 75 people, 450 basic land will be opened(more or less). If a box was set aside for these lands to be set in, ~25 people could make decks with it assuming color equality. I don't recall that many new faces at every event, so in theory, the tournament could run efficiently without the supply of land from wizards. I do not fault wizards at all for their decision to stop supplying land.

In addition, I am going to be bringing extra land for those who need, and encourage others with large stockpiles to do so as well.

See you all at the Prerelease!

• Again, You are missing the point. The business decision to start the program was based on the idea that players who might not be card turning gods like you guys would have something to look forward to for the 5 bucks they wasted every week not making the cut for packs. In fact that was the pitch I got from the wizards rep for Japan. I'm not just spouting my opinion. That was the idea.

"A game for the masses not those at the top." Though the mechanations are there to provide for the elite players; a low bar for entry was much more important in the early days.

As well, people used to enjoy diversity. So anything unique was cool. The art on a lot of older cards wasn't what it is now (no insults intended). So that consideration wasn't as important. In fact probably the reverse was true for a while previous to Kamigawa. Art is subjective though, so I digress.

I almost never play FNM cards, yet I love collecting them. Isn't this a collectible card game? Are unique collections not cool? I must be missing something.

As for lands. Well that's just modern economics for you. If they weren't making cuts then someone wouldn't be doing their job.

"Men will beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks." _MLK