Whatchya Playing!!

• Discuss your decks here!

Currently running mono green eldrazi I like it, my games this week went 1:2 VS UB control GORDO, 2:0 VS mono black control Bobby, and 2:1 VS UB control Alex.

I lost to Gordo cuz he always hits the god hand whenever he plays me. ARGH!

I won the first game against mono black control with a hard casted Butcher and then a Ulamog on the next turn. second game wasn't so easy we both Mulled to 5 and ended up taking five draws to hit three mana. He got his three first and cast a sadistic sacrament, removing two Emrakuls and an Ulamog. I was then still fairly mana fukked and he dropped his fourth and cast memoricide for my primeval titans. This seemed to go on for a few more turns until he removed every big threat in my deck except one Ulamog. Somewhere along the way he had pitched a JAR JAR I'm guessing for the removal. I ended up pulling an eye and had 7+ eldrazi mana available. I searched my deck for what I thought to contain more eldrazi's then there was. Got the Ulamog and set myself up to cast next turn hoping it would not be countered. It didn't end up getting countered and winning the game for me. But it was the funnest match up I found all night. Thanks for the game Bobby!

The first game VS Alex was long by the end of it we were at eight minutes left for the round. I got mana screwed second game and he had huge board position so I scooped turn 7 or 8, hoping to not go to a draw next game. Third game I would have not won if he had not missed played his Jace, the Mind Sculptor. I had three lands on the board having missed a fourth drop, being countered on an explore and growth spasm. If he was to fate seal me I think he would have won the game. But since he mis played his key card in the deck I ended up laying a beatdown on him with the biggest creatures in the format. Thats right!

Thinking about playing some goblins next week seeing as all my cards get to me by then. Need some pointers on what I should do for card advantage. I am not a big player of red but love aggro decks cuz they are awesome. I know I will be running the following:

4x Goblin Guides
    4x Goblin Chieftain
    4x Warren Instigator
    4x Ruinblaster (might keep some of these guys on side board)
    3x KOTH
    and a bunch of removal
    I was thinking about splashing some blue for some draw and counters, or some white for quest of the holy relic.

Let me know what you think please.

• grats on a fun night! wish i coulda played last night.

and for the goblin deck, im not a fan of red either, so i cant be of much help there. if you go with quest, goblin gaveleer might be an idea.
    counters might be nice too, though i personally think that slows down an aggro deck

–-----------------------------
    What goes up must come sideways

• Is completely random, you need to be focused on just turning guys sideways. You'll just want goblins and burn, and maybe Koth.

Troll extraordinaire. PT Paris scrub out.

• and remember, goblins tap to face the opponent. XD

–-----------------------------
    What goes up must come sideways

• Traditional goblin decks arn't really viable right now but it might look something like this (minus seige gang commanders)

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=34779

The best goblin card right now is kuldotha rebirth, and if you start building around that card your deck can become very scary.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=35482
    ^^ good place to start if you go that route.

Also my personal opinion of warren instigator right now is very negative on acct of there is no goblin cards I want to put into play turn 3 post combat in standard right now. (Seige gang commander has rotated)

Also if you have the synergies for him spikeshot elder can be a pretty reliable 1 drop since it can get out of hand quickly with goblin bushwacker, cheifton, teetering peeks, equipment etc.

SO GOOD AT THIS GAME

• I played my usual RDW deck that night, with the main deck Koth's and Masticores :)

Game 1 vs Aaron's Ramp deck (I think it was RUG?): Lost 1-2 against him. 2nd game I Devastating Summons for two 6/6 tokens thinking he could only deal with one with Jace, but alas he had the Chandra to deal with the 2nd one. 3rd game I had a decent opening hand of Goblin Guide and two Tunnel Ignus, but got caught drawing land after land and he had answers to my early plays. But it was still a fun game :)

Game 2 vs Garrett's blue artifact ramp deck: Won 2-1. My deck kept killing his blue creatures to prevent his Architect from ramping artifacts out too quickly. There was one game where I had him within burn range, but I had no more creatures in the graveyard to use Masticore with, and didn't draw any creatures to dump or burn spells. And then he dropped Wurmcoil Engine. Awkward :) Overall, I really liked his deck.

Game 3 vs Stu's red artifact deck: Won 2-1. Lost one game when he got Contagion Clasp/Lux Cannon combo going. Other than that, his deck had some really fun synergy with Kuldotha Phoenix and metal craft, and Stu seemed to enjoy killing my Koth's :). Won my 3rd game out of nowhere with the Devastating Summons combo for 17 damage total.

Top 8 vs Dan's "I destroy red decks" deck: Lost 0-2. Game one, kept getting trinket mage to get elixir of immortality to keep padding his life until he dropped a bunch of planeswalkers for game. Game two, he got out 3 Kor Firewalkers, some Walls of Omen, and started with the elixir shenanegans again. Sad face for me :)

So a few notes:

1. I decided to take out the artifact hate in my sideboard to make room for Tunnel Ignus. However, I found Tunnel Ignus completely useless, and really wanted some artifact hate today for various matchups
    2. I need to make room for Perilous Myr to combat the Kor Firewalkers
    3. I'm contemplating putting the following main:
      -Devastating Summons/Goblin Bushwhacker combo (because it's just so much fun to win out of nowhere)
      -Mark of Mutiny (if no good targets, never a bad thing to put a counter to Spikeshot Elder)
      -Panic Spellbomb (Card cycling and a way to get through a defender in certain scenarios)

One thing that might be interesting is splashing black in the goblin deck. There's lots of duals to support it (with the man-land giving you reach in the late game) and access to black's removal/disruption suite for main or sideboard.

• Ya I was playing a RUG variant. Destructive Force is fun. Only drawing 3 lands is not. Haha, ah well!

• Definitely black has some of the meanest cards right now. Memoricide is huge in the format right now, its almost worth splashing black just for that card.

• Not really. If you're using it for against anything other than primeval titan against ramp, or grave titan/jace in the UB mirror you're definitely wasting some slots in your deck. Red doesn't want to waste a turn getting rid of some stuff. Memricide is ONLY played because of the ramp decks, for decks that just can't race them.

• @KleptoManiaK:

I lost to Gordo cuz he always hits the god hand whenever he plays me. ARGH!

this has happened to me many times haha

• this has happened to me many times haha
    edit:whoops double post

Sometimes I wonder if he had a golden horseshoe surgically inserted somewhere near the lower intestine at birth.

Got that double for yeah :)

• Lol funny thing about it is when a game comes down to making the right decisions, Gordo will beat you there as well. Yes he has an abnormal amount of luck, but he's getting better fa faster than you Eddie, and at this point he's better then you ever were when you played at the same time as me.

• that someone who has been playing the game and using the mechanics half of his life, should be a much better player then someone who is only coming up to his two year anniversary for being in the game. He does run his play-set of Jace's to their fullest potential and does a good job doing it. Not saying that I am better then him at the game because it would be nearly impossible for it to be true. I think all we were saying is that he does have an abnormally gargantuan amount of luck when it comes to not only playing the game but anything to do with post or pre game rituals. But I will have to say that everyone can make mistakes, magic is not an easy game to master with all of the variables that comes with it. Even seasoned vets like your self may play a jace into a jace and not even realize what you have done.

We all like the game and we all try are hardest at it, but it can only be fun if we take it lightly when we are playing with our group (exempt a few nameless ones).

• His TWO Jace's. I was just pointing out that everyone drops back to his luck as why they lost to him etc. He's only gotten good in the last year or so, so the fact that you've only played 2 years to his much more is fairly irrelevant. Anyway the whole purpose in my point was stating from my point of view that he's one of the best players at Quantum, luck or not. People should quit blaming losing to him on luck or "getting Gordo'd", and look back at what you did wrong.

• Ok, I have played this game since Urza block, and even though I have taken breaks, I am always open to constructive criticism, and hope to offer a bit of my own up. I am not here to berate anyone or insult anyone. My main objective is to share something I have noticed in hopes someone may gain something from it and improve their enjoyment of the game. As for throwing a graph up with time since starting magic vs skill level, coming from a guy who has played longer than many of the pros, its bogus. You are as good as you strive to be. If you want to be a pro, then you will want to dedicate countless hours playtesting and reading and will get there. If you only play one night a week, then you WILL progress at a slower rate. But hey, it depends on what motivates you. Onto my observation!

One thing I noticed about many players during our little friday get-togethers, is that people make the most mistakes when they are rushed. I know 40 minutes goes quick, and to make game 3 conceivable you need to increase your speed of play. The main mistakes I see so many players make can be avoided with taking a moment to consider your play beforehand. I lost count of how many times gordo snap-counters anything I play, before he sees what it is, or on occasion, before he knows what it does (lol I remember you countering 2x explosive revelations before the 3rd resolved then asking what it did after the 3rd). I can't count how many times Eddy will EOT windmill slam multiple summoning traps at the same time. You give up a lot of information to your opponent through things like this which can be detrimental in the upcoming turns. I use you two as an example as it seemed relevant given the previous posts, and also I know you guys have improved on these and won't hold it against me :D

Beating the clock doesn't have to come at the cost of misplays. There is plenty time to consider your lines of play before your turn, but I notice a lot of watching happening on the other side of the table when it is a players turn. Once you pass your turn over, you know what they have in play, you should have already thought about what could they potentially have, and should try to be planning your next turn. How often do you see Stef, Nathan, Aaron, or other consistent top 8rs tank on their turns and try to figure out what they will play for 30 seconds-1 minute? Not a whole lot. These players know what they are going to do before their turn even starts, and while your tanking on your turn about what you will do, in many cases they can tell what decision you are facing and will already be coming up with a line of play to best beat your play.

For example, its the cawblade mirror, its turn 3, you are on the draw. Your opponent passed with a stoneforge in play after fetching a sword last turn. Before he even untapped for his turn you should be able to recognize that he is most likely going to pass with mana up to drop the sword into play EOT. While he takes his turn, you should be looking at your options, which at this point are most likely going to be 1. Land, Jace, eat a Spell Pierce. 2. Land, Divine Offering with pierce up at end step, etc etc. You can be making these decisions from your previous turn because there is very little diversity in this particular archetype in terms of lines of play.

If you are not confident in your knowledge of the lines of play in your deck, practice! run out 7 turns by yourself, shuffle up, repeat a dozen or so times, and it may take 5 games, it may take 25 games, but you will see the common lines of play and won't even have to think about what you need to do. With all this extra time, you will be able to consider your opponents turns and make better decisions based on actions they haven't even made yet.

I felt there was an opening for a little information since the thread turned toward player improvement, and was inspired to share. Take it for what you want, I am by no means a pro at this game, but I have been playing long enough to where I feel I can share some info with newer players for their benefit. See you guys at the prerelease

• Thanks Aaron, the "luck sack" thing was getting kind of old although I do like the fact that "Gordo" is now a term we use for "getting lucky", I'm alright with that staying. I've been trying my best with what I got to be the best I can be and it's really nice to know that great players are acknowledging it. I know I can be lucky but when someone gets mad at me getting "lucky" I just feel really down on myself because they're not enjoying the game and I'd rather just lose rather then winning with luck against them. It took me a long time for me to get to the point where I'm at skill wise and financial wise; most of the times when packs are for prizes I play to my fullest extent so I can get some better cards. And yah I do use Jace, I don't like Jace that much; however it's a great card, you would either not have them or would be stupid not to run them in control. From me coming from negating a spreading seas or playing Jace in to Jace to coming in 22nd at my first huge tourny couldn't be accomplished by luck; I hate it when I get lucky it usually means I have to apologize to my opponent for the rest of the day. Oh and FUCK YAH BAZZANA IS BACK!

Always having that one card and getting there since 2004.

• Nicely done on the 22nd place finish btw. I bet you earned those wins, and yes, even if you used the worlds most technical shovel to dig for that inferno titan for the win that one game haha

• Gordo is one of the best players at quantum without a doubt. Getting "Gordo'd" sounds like a great new word to be used around the shop. I have nothing against Jace's just simply pointing out you use them a lot and to your advantage. (We all know you do like them secretly Gordo)

Criticism is one the greatest things that comes with such a complicated learning curve and would never hold anything against anyone. I love when vets give advice on the forums so openly because it makes me think about what I am doing wrong and not doing and try to improve on it. One thing I am trying to get better at is forsee-ing the opponents moves, and that is going to get a lot harder with the new set right around the corner. I have been putting in an unreasonable amount of time in trying to study the new set, to hone my sealed deck for sunday and for T2 constructed down the road. What is your tips on constructing a good sealed deck? (if your in the mood to spill some more awesome pointers)

• In Scars just play your bombs and removal. There isn't some great secret to the format lol. Try and stay to 2 colors, though if you have a dual/green spellbomb/mana myr theres no problem splashing 1 or 2 cards from another color, as long as you aren't running mostly double color costed cards and have a fair few artifacts. Also play your "good stuff" cards over trying to make metalcraft happen. Opening a Batterskull or Sword (BM or WP) wouldn't hurt your cause either, haha.

• Hey gordo, what's up? come out to magic tonight so i can play you some edh or whatever. I got lots of older decks to test out too.

• Can't I have a show to do. It's closing night for my play so if I miss it I'm dead.

Always having that one card and getting there since 2004.