FNM NEEDS TO CHANGE!!!!!!

• It seeme like we have a steady 28-30 people wanting to play FNM's. Maybe you could provide seating for a few more people so that poeple don't miss out. In the shop we could easily move the innistrad sign and plant outside or into the back and set up another table right there for another match, and since when did counter space stop becoming a good playing surface. I think that you utilized the old shops space a little more effectivley for the weekly events, I am sure I remeber seeing 30+ people jam into there there some days. Hell I remember playing a match in the front seat of someones vehicle, its not about being comfortable its more about giving the opportunity to everyone who has invested time and money into these cards a chance to play. People dont want to invest in a 200-300 dollar deck and not want to play it, for some of us we are students and play magic as a way to unwind from a week, but student or not I think everyone goes for the same reasons and thats to have a good time on a friday night(other then going to the clubs and getting hammered). Its is a great enviroment at quantum every firday night. It's just a shame people have to miss out on it.

• The best part about the new store IS the fact that it's not so crammed, people have room to move around etc.

Troll extraordinaire. PT Paris scrub out.

• but why not utilize it to its full potential. There could easliy be another long table on one of the opposite walls to open up more seating.

• i don't know where you figure another table can fit in the store. if you add much anything its gonna be just as crammed as the old store. it's pretty tight on the long tables as is, i found many times i didn't have much room to back my chair up to even get in or out last night.

• four people to play. Instead of having two small tables there why not put a big one length ways so it opens up another seat. The counter can easily fit a match and one extra little table somewhere could easliy open up FNM's from 24 to 30 people. Not to mention the well lit front sidewalk, yes it is getting chilly out but it is still legit space.

• It is unfortunate that some people will have to miss out, however that's most likely never going to change. It seems this game is reaching more and more people every day now, for whatever reasons. I've noticed a fairly big increase even in the short amount of time I've been playing. Al could change shops every six months at this rate and that might never fix the problem.

Instead of announcing that there is a problem and then listing to 5 people argue about it lets try and come up with some obvious method to fix it.

1st Al needs to be heard. He may or may not like the way it's going now, and in all fairness hes the one that this falls on. Obviously hosting FnM's and monthly events keeps his business up and is one of the keys to the shop generating interest/profits. There is some associated costs to expand and entertain which Al has accommodated and not asked for anything in return. I'm sure there is some pretty simple things we can adjust or sacrifice to allow more people to play. Again..starting a thread full of arguments isn't going to get us there so keep that in mind before posting.

If Al is open to suggestions, there is some fairly simple things we could do..

I'M GOING TO SPOUT A COUPLE IDEAS TO GET THE BALL ROLLING, I'M NOT SAYING THEY'RE CORRECT SO I DON'T WANT TO BE BITCHED AT LIKE A MONTHLY (AARON VS WADE)and I'm not kidding…

These are just some things we could attempt. More importantly we need too take into consideration that there is, like Eddie said some long-term players and new players missing out. Some of us with free schedules, brush that off carelessly because we know Saturday morning we aren't missing FnM in six days.

So possible Ideas...

1. On a seasonal basis open the weekly or in store events to more people and utilize the outside space. If we can add 6-10 spots for about 3/4 of the year, for the time being that would solve the problems except for the next 4 months. So in the summer make the sign up for 30-32 people with those additional spots on a weather permitting basis. If its raining the last 6-10 wont be playing. We live in Kelowna it's unlikely that that will be an issue very often.

2. I'M AWARE THIS NEXT IDEA IS VERY LOADED BUT MAYBE ITS WORTH TALKING ABOUT, ALSO I AM UNSURE OF WHERE I STAND ON THIS IDEA SO DON'T READ THIS AS IF I'M SAYING ITS THE RIGHT CALL, IT JUST MIGHT BE WORTH DISCUSSING. Maybe FnM should cost a booster pack entry fee for part of the year. this would help fund tables and things for outside next year, include some prizes, and maybe make some people want to come only a couple times a month and give others an opportunity to play. Again just an idea possibly the wrong, one. Shut your trap if you plan to respond to this idea in an unproductive manor.

3. maybe once you play 5 FnM's in a row volunteer to skip one? there's something to be said for a little camaraderie...eh eh.

I'm not sure if any of these ideas are good, but I think we can at least hear what people have to say. What I do know for sure, is after a long week trying to fit in some time here and there to work on my deck and NOT getting to play it, I wouldn't be stoked. There is like 30 plus people here all trying to do the same thing, throw some ideas around. Even if they aren't the best ideas we still have to sort through them all to find something that'll work so don't worry THERE IS NO REASON FOR ANYONE TO SHIT TALK THIS TIME, THESE ARE IDEAS NOT OPPINIONS!

• @travisS:

I'M GOING TO SPOUT A COUPLE IDEAS TO GET THE BALL ROLLING, I'M NOT SAYING THEY'RE CORRECT SO I DON'T WANT TO BE BITCHED AT LIKE A MONTHLY (AARON VS WADE) and I'm not kidding…

say what?

–-----------------------------
    What goes up must come sideways

• lol everytime you and arron post its the most reiculous half arguments LOL

• although funny as hell to read, i kinda feel bad for people missing out on fnm's so i wanted to make sure it didnt turn into that

• usually its on things that are ridiculous to begin with, or misunderstanding of opinions, and it does have to do with experience with the game

• yeah. good point

actually on topic now,

the take a break every once and a while to let other people in seems a good idea. i dont go as often as i used to so i can chill with the GF, or go visit family, or just chill out at home.
    even the days i dont go, i want to go, but i prioritize my life.

seasonal outside would work as well.

• I pretty much haven't missed an FNM over the passed four years outside of work reasons, it isn't going to start now ;/

• i do skip a tourney every month. draft. i will never volunteer to skip a standard so someone else can play though, lol. to be fair, it would be aaron vs anyone who says something dumb. what can i say, its what i do.

• no one asked anyone to skip, all that was asked was if you had any ideas to open it up to a few more people…

• 3) maybe once you play 5 FnM's in a row volunteer to skip one? there's something to be said for a little camaraderie…eh eh.

That's asking people to skip lol.

• haha this is hilarious….If you don't want to miss out on a FNM, get up at 6am on monday log into quantum on le computer and sign up lol

Uncing my way to victory.

• It was never stated that it would be a mandatory miss after 5, but if your more of a casual player maybe consider it. It wasn't an idea intended to ask the more serious players to pipe up about the fact that they had no intentions in skipping an event. Besides you already do your part and skip drafts anyways. that opens a spot for an in-shop event for someone else to play. The idea was clearly was for this sort of circumstance:

I play 5 fnm's in a row as a casual player with no aspirations or dreams of pro-tour or traveling to play cards. So I would have no problem missing 10 fnms a year to allow some of our busier friends that also play, the opportunity to sign up a little later in the week. This is something some of the more casual players might consider.

The whole idea here was to just mull some ideas and maybe try and get a few more people a week an opportunity to play the game. This wasn't supposed to encourage a bunch of people to rant about the ideas they don't like.

So obviously if missing the odd week doesn't apply too you this idea would be no good, that's totally fine. Move on, maybe try suggesting something else.

• There's only 2 ways we can have more space to play. Option one is Al getting another store. Option two is Al getting a bigger store. You know 5 years ago we were lucky to get 8 or 9 people for a draft. Now a days Magic is insanely popular. I have a lot of other friends who plays in non tournies. With media like Duels of the planeswalkers and all of this non sense and great marketing Magic is becoming and will become bigger. Al has a unique monopoly and honestly if I had a chance I'd invest some money in to that. It's either Al's store or Randles. Someone go buy Randle out so we can have another store to play magic or something.

Regardless we shouldn't skip, I wanna play magic and if you're to late to sign up well to bad. It shouldn't be a race to sign up I agree but it's our only option.

Always having that one card and getting there since 2004.

• I would normally never advertise another store here, but seeing that he literally can't serve more customers for FNM, I'll point out that FNM at Ebenezer's is doing well and has seats available.

Some of us who would of normally played at Quantum are playing there instead, and as you know, Quantum is still sold out with people left out. Not everyone there is a competitive player, but there is a bunch who are. It's a huge store with tables and chairs for 32, with most nights being 20-something players and 5 rounds of swiss.

Their inventory of singles is terrible, and they ditch entire sets still in standard. Their prices on seemingly everything is higher. In short, they're not stealing any sales from Al.

• Ok obviously Al is not going to move shops so be sensible. Like Stephan said he hasnt missed an FNM in four years other then work and planned misses. I honestly have also never missed an FNM since I started playing other than a planned miss, even when it was full there was always room in the past.

I think one of the responisibilties of a person who is hosting these kinds of events is to allow as many people as possible to join. Right now at the way the space in the shop on friday nights is being used it is not being used to the full potential. Which in turn is making for 2-4 people every week not able to engage in the activities. I think that this is an easy solution and it shouldn't take any bickering at all. Just a simple re-arrange of where the tables go, and perhaps utilizing some of the counter space for gameplay. It would greatly expand the amount of people that could play by making a few changes.

Even with the same amount of tables on the other side of the same length there is still going to be a path from the door to the counter. Just because there isnt enough space for a wrestling match doesnt meen its not going to be a good time still. Half of the people that play MTG remember what it was like to have barely enough room to sneak by eachother in the old shop. I'm pretty sure that none of us cared about that as long as we were able to come and play the game. Thats the speel I am still sticking to full utilization of space and thats that. But unfortunately these forums are only good for posting opinions and the real decision has to come from the shopkeep himself.

• Well I don't even know why you posted this in here…You should just have went and talked to Al personally, Like someone stated before.

Uncing my way to victory.