Core 2012 pre-release

• Hey everyone just wondering about the pre-release event coming up. This will be my first mtg event and i was wondering if there was anything i should know before showing up? I know you get 6 boosters and build a deck out of that, but do we bring our own lands? Or will basic lands be provided?

also how long do these events usually go for?

look forward to meeting some fellow players!

• Just show up and bring about 20 of each basic lands (only). You will make a deck of 40 cards from your pool and the rest will be your side-board.

• Welcome to the game. Twenty of each basic land is plenty, but you'll likely use less than 10 of any particular one. The event is scheduled to 5pm, but from what I remember of last time, it was mostly wrapped up by 4pm. A few other helpful points:

1. It's a 40-card minimum deck, so you're looking at 16-18 land, and 22-24 non-land. I believe three colours (with the third being a splash) is most common, but two or four is played as well.

2. All your remaining cards and basic land can be sideboarded between games or between rounds. You do not have to un-sideboard them. You can even go so far as to change your entire deck. You can not use the promo card you receive.

3. There a lot of other inexperienced players there as well, so don't hesitate to question what you're being told. If you played prior to M10, be aware that some of the fundamental rules were changed then. We don't have a sanctioned judge, but there are helpful experienced players, and if need be, the event organizers.

4. Bring something to keep track of your life total (pen and paper, dice, spare change), and a few to use as counters or tokens. I'm not sure what's near this venue for lunch, so you might want to bring snacks.

It's a great event to start with. Don't forget to have fun.

• For core sets 2 colours is the way to go. Keep the consistency, scars you ran a lot of artifacts so if you missed a colour you were still playing spells most of the game.

Troll extraordinaire. PT Paris scrub out.

• I realize that they ban jace the mind put they just put out an even worse on
    0 ablility mill 10 cards wow a little op for a mill deck

• The new jace is shit. Mill will never be a viable option.. if it ever gets to the point of Tier1 (which will be never)people can side in eldrazi… I'd much MUCH rather have a brainstorm then a glimpse. Oh it also costs 5... for a shitty 1st 2nd and 3rd ability. That also makes him suck.

Always having that one card and getting there since 2004.

• Drawing a card is always a good ability. His second abaility is balls, but drawing 20 cards is as good as gg. If you get there with him you're at parity or close to you just win. Mill is definitely balls though, and 5 mana is hurting. But he has one mediocre ability and 2 solid ones, unfortunately his mana cost is the problem with him.

• will seize to exist come October, when ROE rotates out with the rest of the block. Elixir will be soon be gone aswell, which could make mill viable. As for the new jace's mana cost I think that with the right mix between blue spells, proliferate and colorless spells available, he could see play more then we think. As for a tier 1 deck if they reprint beleren, then maybe jace will see the likes of first place again.

• Don't forget with those Archive trap and Hedron crab will also be rotating. So as of that time Jace is the only notable mill card.

• right you are, mill is jank anywayz.

• Thanks for the heads up.

So I'll bring 20 of each land, a pack of dice (as counters), a pen and paper, or a spin-down counter.

Anything else I should know?

• entry fee
    card sleeves (optional)
    something to put cards into?

• Hmm, good call on the card sleeves. I was in the other day looking for some but they were pretty much out of stock. Hmm, I wonder when they will get some more…

• best plan is really just to get the penny sleeves. al almost always has them in stock

–-----------------------------
    What goes up must come sideways

• what are penny sleeves ?

• the 100 count cheepy sleeves for a dollah

• Hmm, ya I checked them out online. Are they any good to play with? I bought 200 deck protector sleeves the other day to sleeve a few of my decks, and they seem to be really nice quality, although at $8 per 100 it could get steep to sleeve the rest of my cards. Would I be better off just buying binder pages for them and then only sleeve the cards I'm currently playing with using deck protectors, or should I sleeve my collection in penny sleeves?

Penny sleeves for storage and deck protectors for playing, or should I put them in binders and then deck protectors for the cards I'm using.

I like the idea of a binder because it will let me see my current cards to build decks, but it would take up more space..

Or do people usually sleeve the cards in penny sleeves then put them in binders?

• depending on the card people may use sleeves in a binder (think duals (alpha beta))
    and it doesnt really take more space if you think about the organization aspect.
    penny sleeves are good for limited events

• Binder your cards if you like organization and just have sleeves for decks. I have everything I use in decks sleeved, but I also play every other day for a few hours and love designing decks. Binders also make it easier to trade with people.

Penny sleeves are crap, if you want a set of limited sleeves just buy a pack of sleeves from Al thats a different color then you would normally use (a 50 pack) and just unsleeve your limited deck after every limited tourney. If you have a spare deck box kicking around you could leave your limited sleeves in there too.

• that works too. (sleeves)