BANNINGS!

• Always having that one card and getting there since 2004.

• i think your too happy about this…
    but im not going to judge as this should be very interesting

–-----------------------------
    What goes up must come sideways

• no doubt eh. have fun wotc with this one

• i see the reasoning and i like it. i dont like caw, and i dont like jace.

• Should be interesting to see what the meta will be like with both gone. Splinter Twin is still a very real deck without Jace, and we might see the return of Valakut decks. A lot of aggro decks should be viable now that Stoneforge into Batterskull will no longer stop it dead in its tracks.

• You don't like Jace cause you can't afford a 80$ card. If you had money, you would have them and like them. Banning stoneforge was right, banning jace was stupid and shows wizards inability to analyze a format without the actual problem card. As bad as it is, banning stoneforge and VALAKUT would make more sense, as it would let a card like vengevine, that is good against jace, actually get played. Anyone who actually follows competitive magic and knows anything about deckbuilding knows this is true.

EDIT: Art, stoneforge had very little to do with valakut. The problem with valakut was thats its slower then splinter twin by a turn or turn and a half. Valakut still got played about 15%+ in high level tournaments pre-twin combo.

Troll extraordinaire. PT Paris scrub out.

• i see it as too late anyways, they both have what, 3 months left?

edit:
    i dont mind jace, not fond of him for 2 reasons. (i dont really like blue and i cant afford him if i did). it is really just the stoneforge

• Timing is irrelevant when it comes to attendance reasons. Attendance was fine pre-caw blade. Standard was healthy, and Jace was legal.

• I don't recall saying anything about Stoneforge affecting Valakut in my post :) I was only discussing possible decks that we'll see at FNM. I mean, I haven't seen a Valakut deck at Quantum in a very long time, and I expect someone to bring it back post-banning.

• @insaniac:

You don't like Jace cause you can't afford a 80$ card. If you had money, you would have them and like them.

Have them, didn't play them. I agree that Stoneforge was the only serious problem.

The "Jace test" for creatures was definitely shaping the meta a lot. If it cost 4 or more, it had to have an ETB ability or haste. Will Baneslayer make a return in titan-land?

• It's not Jace or Stoneforge that was holding back Valakut was all the point I was making.

Jason: That's not true at all. If something was 6 mana it had to, or else it's just better to play a titan. Baneslayer was getting play until the TITANS were printed, not Jace. Baneslayer was played as recently as about 3 months ago.

• I think they may have been a bit overzealous with the Jace banning, as stated previously that the format was absolutely fine until someone decided to print a truckload of broken equipment to be thrown into play without fear of counters for 1W regardless of cost. Mystic was the disease in the format, and I for one am quite sad to see my jaces go. But hey, if they get banned across formats (highly doubtful), maybe they will be cheap enough for me to craft a wicked deckbox out of them :D

• I have heard in a long time.I do agree with the banning 100%, I think that the deck caw go and any variant of it was just ridiculous. Jace, the mind sculptor by himself is far to over powered when you compare him to other good cards. There is no other permanent that is 2U and 2colorless and becomes the best draw engine in the game, one of the best creature controllers and is a win con all by itself. Caw blade was like valakut in the sense that it took absolutely no skill to play, it pretty well played itself. The Meta will be changed and maybe some other good cards will get a chance to prove themselves worthy.

@Jadedz: That would be a sweet deck box and hope to see it soon.

• I for one am quite happy to see both Jace and Stoneforge given the boot. Those two cards were the only reason i never played FNM. Maybe it is just me or I am in the minority, but playing with Jace is boring and unrewarding. You drop him and protect him. YAWN. Stoneforge is just broken with the recent equipment.

I find magic more rewarding when you actually play creative and make your own decks, not just copy pros to feed a compulsive need to win at all costs. I don't know about you guys, but i make decks trying to find that next big combo, rather then running the "cool" combos into the dirt.

I owned two copies of JTMS and never used him. He just isn't fun to play. Winning is fun, yes, but i would rather enjoy winning with a home brew.

/end rant

• Lol @ Eddie! I can't believe how sunny your statement of Caw Blade taking zero skill to play is! Like, holy bananas, it's possibly the most purple thing I've heard anyone say in a long time. AND coming from the guy who played Eldrazi Green for so long. Get a coca-cola before you judge what it takes to play a deck. I'm honestly completely blown away by your industrial fan to the amount of skill the deck took to play properly. I really don't care how much m&ms I get in for this rant, but seriously. Get a blue umbrella before you comment on how easy/hard a deck is to play. Zombie Jesus, now I've heard it all. You're like the people who said Faeries auto played itself.

Edited by Jadedz for integrity and hilarity

• You mad bra?
    Srsly you mad?

Don't Jace me bro…

Local Kelowna Magic player and video game developer

• @insaniac:

Lol @ Eddie! I can't believe how sunny your statement of Caw Blade taking zero skill to play is! Like, holy bananas, it's possibly the most purple thing I've heard anyone say in a long time. AND coming from the guy who played Eldrazi Green for so long. Get a coca-cola before you judge what it takes to play a deck. I'm honestly completely blown away by your industrial fan to the amount of skill the deck took to play properly. I really don't care how much m&ms I get in for this rant, but seriously. Get a blue umbrella before you comment on how easy/hard a deck is to play. Zombie Jesus, now I've heard it all. You're like the people who said Faeries auto played itself.

Edited by Jadedz for integrity and hilarity

That is the funniest edit I have ever seen XD

• It's pretty simple: both parts of the mtg scene were kept in mind for the bannings altogether.

On one hand, there was the competitive players that have their names in top sixteens who were all choosing Caw because it was the best reward for their skill.

Connected to them are grinders etc

On the other hand, there was the status quo. That is to say people who fill seats on Fridays. Not all, but many of these players are the types who just play on Fridays and play the game on a competitive level, that is of a small scale. Their focus is on small Friday tournaments and their ability scales to whoever the better players who attend are.

The latter group of players are all different, but there was a similarity among many of them in how they didn't really understand the disparity of ability manifesting itself in the form of "unfair" games, against decks with JtMS in them. When people lack self-awareness, whether it is due to plain ignorance, a defense mechanism, shortsightedness and/or whatever else, they'll assign blame to something external, rather than themselves.

The latter empirically-proven fact applies to human psychology, as a whole. In the case of mtg , that is why there is such division among players regarding jtms's fairness. Players who are more serious will be willing to spend more money on cards and jtms has been expensive for a while. Serious players are also going to be the ones who win games at smaller events generally. "Scrubs" are going to be the most likely to see cards as the biggest factor in why players that they consider more skilled are beating them…

"That guy is a good player, but he isn't THAT good without his JtMS"

Rather than seeing the situation as something that starts entirely with them needing to improve their game, they assign blame to a card. So even if they do try to step up their game, they won't understand how much more they need to improve in order to beat "jace decks". You see peoples' tendency to blame the tool first and its operator second everywhere, so it isn't surprising that it is in mtg too.

If someone is too self-absorbed to see the forest for the trees, he can look at it like this:

Some of your card buds have had something that they enjoy greatly taken from them. Try to forget about the material aspects and see it for what it is...some of your friends are unhappy.

Not that many people like me, but I have basically nothing to play now and have no experience with anything else. I spent what money I have to spend on Ux control decks to the point that I sacrifice my standard of living for it because that's how much I enjoy it. Now I am basically fucked until new sets come out. It sucks...even if you think I am a piece of shit and only act friendly toward me out of politeness, I guarantee that people you see in a much better light are unhappy at the moment too. Personally, I hate it when people I like are unhappy and find that their unhappiness is contagious.

That's all I have to say about this issue.

"A great value of antiquity lies in the fact that its writings are the only ones that modern men still read with exactness."

• it sucks to hear that you have nothing to play now, if its any condolences, if your ever wanting to play i do have a spare deck for standard. all it needs is 4 goblin guides as the 4 in it are shared between my 2 main decks. (both are red decks)

on a personal note: i am friendly towards you out of honest sincerity, you are a very nice person and i have had tons of fun playing against you.
    i remember the time i had my jank eldrazi deck and took out your JtMS with spawning breath. i also remember playing in the top 8 against you and smacking caw blade in the face. (not the best way to phrase it, but still). (the latter was more the fact that i was in top 8 than anything, but our match that day stands out most, tied with bobby but for much different reasons, to me.)
    it'll honestly be sad not seeing you as often at FNMs for a while if you choose not to play until something good comes out.

• i also have an extra couple decks for standard play. Maybe theyre not tier 1 like most are used to but they manage alright. And I do have 4 extra goblin guides kickin around wade

• as long as im not lending out decks it doesnt matter to me, if i lend out the deck it needs them.